It works now, thanks. However, logging breaks when I also make this change to my config as suggested in a post linked from the above:
$config['daemon']['user'] = 'www-data';
$config['daemon']['group'] = 'www-data';
No big deal about that, I just …
A workaround is to comment out the lines that write the log entries you don't want. For me, the worst ones to comment out are in lib/dbqueuemanager.php and lib/iomaster.php. Just put // in front of the lines that write to the log.
Nevermind, I figured it out. /extlib was missing. A few problems still remain: the SSL problem, the occasional/unpredictable database errors (which I work around by just trying again), and the DEBUG logging (but less now).
I realise that it's a database connection error, but my database is fine: it's defined like this:
$config['db']['database'] = "mysql://statusnet:mysecretpassword@localhost/statusnet";
I can connect perfectly well from the command line like this:
An update: trying to rule out other problems, I moved the sslserver to the same domain, just a different subdomain. It still doesn't work. My settings are:
$config['site']['server'] = 'www.malcolm.id.au';
$config['site']['path'] = 'mublog';